NSW Obtaining my deceased mother's financial details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

unique

17 March 2019
Not sure if this is the right forum
My Late mother's estate has settled
I have valid reasons to believe my siblings who were the executors and had POA stole money from my mother before she died. We are estranged (surprise surprise)
I want to see my mother's bank statements, credit card statements during the time they had control of her money in the months leading up to her death

I've asked them numerous times for this information but they are ignoring my requests

Is there any way possible I can get her bank statements?? Surely I have some rights as a daughter?!
Her estate lawyer and my lawyer both said it would be a criminal matter if money was stolen before she died.

Reactions: Qlders

unique

17 March 2019
I might add that they claim to have paid for some her treatment costs for which they reimbursed themselves for. I know this is a complete lie because:
1) I know her treatment was free
2) why would they pay themselves when my late mother had plenty of money and they had control of her money
3) I know my brother is such a scrooge when it comes to parting with his money
4) For other reasons I have not not listed

I have their lies about this in writing from my late mother's probate/estate lawyer

Jacqui Brauman

15 January 2016
Victoria
www.tbalaw.com.au
Hi. Because they may have done this behaviour as power of attorney, you can make an application to the Guardianship list at NCAT. Your application would be for the attorneys to account to NCAT for what happened while they were under the power of attorney. Then it's up to NCAT to investigate if the information is insufficient. (I'm in Victoria, and that's how it works here, so assuming similar in NSW)

Reactions: unique

Julie Purcell

22 December 2019
My two half sisters got control of mums four bank accounts mum had oldsimers and they were spending all her money. Then went in and went for probate which they got one sister has sold the family home for half its value and have said mum never had any money. What can I do?

Julie Purcell

22 December 2019
I have a good lawyer but mum was bullied and lied to so I was cut out of her will dad passed 27 years ago and i can't find his will well his bank lost it. So I get a small part of dads house which mum gets the most so they get all that. The house is on a huge block with a million dollar veiw I think the half sisters and one has a husband have brought it for well under its value and are going to put units on it and make millions. I can't get any information on any thing to do with the property who brought it realastate agents can't get any info friend can't even go out and see it. So it's all Hush hush now it's sold and I go into mediation to see if I can get some crumbs from my parents Life tax courts and lawyers and my two wicked half sisters get the rest. Thanks julie

Gail K

6 April 2020
Did you end up contacting the police?
my Dad is the one who's been taken advantage of and he's in a nursing home but it has to be him that rings them. It's only just happened so the Elder Abuse solicitor is going to ring him on Monday and after revoking the EPOA, he's going to contact the police. I'll let you know how he goes.