NSW Obtaining my deceased mother's financial details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

unique

17 March 2019
Yes please let me know how you go
I'm actually in Vic, but mum was in NSW.

I'm now planning to request an audit of my mums accounts before she passed and then put in a police report
From what I've heard, the police won't really be interested and I'll be pushing uphill for them to do anything (especially at present with the virus happening), so I want to get as much info together that I can

It's just awful when this kind of stuff happens

Gail K

6 April 2020
Yes please let me know how you go
I'm actually in Vic, but mum was in NSW.

I'm now planning to request an audit of my mums accounts before she passed and then put in a police report
From what I've heard, the police won't really be interested and I'll be pushing uphill for them to do anything (especially at present with the virus happening), so I want to get as much info together that I can

It's just awful when this kind of stuff happens
Yes, unfortunately the EPOA had access to the mothers accounts and has milked them even though the Will says everything should've gone to my Dad. It's around $300,000 so not a small amount. A solicitor in Queensland told me to ring the police as it's fraud. By not applying for probate, there is no record of the will either. Nasty people!

Reactions: unique

gailpk

12 July 2020
Did you end up contacting the police?
Hi, we didn't end up contacting the police as they tend to only deal with matters above say $300-400K. We are still in the legal battle and have asked for statements. I believe they have to give statements to the Probate Office when applying for Probate but you have to enlist the services of a Solicitor. It is utterly useless to try to do anything yourself. One word of advice, get the best Wills and Estates Solicitor you can afford because we wasted valuable time and almost missed an important filing deadline because our Solicitor was sloppy.

Reactions: unique

unique

17 March 2019
Hi, we didn't end up contacting the police as they tend to only deal with matters above say $300-400K. We are still in the legal battle and have asked for statements. I believe they have to give statements to the Probate Office when applying for Probate but you have to enlist the services of a Solicitor. It is utterly useless to try to do anything yourself. One word of advice, get the best Wills and Estates Solicitor you can afford because we wasted valuable time and almost missed an important filing deadline because our Solicitor was sloppy.
Thanks for the feedback :)

sqirrels

8 March 2021
Not sure if this is the right forum
My Late mother's estate has settled
I have valid reasons to believe my siblings who were the executors and had POA stole money from my mother before she died. We are estranged (surprise surprise)
I want to see my mother's bank statements, credit card statements during the time they had control of her money in the months leading up to her death

I've asked them numerous times for this information but they are ignoring my requests

Is there any way possible I can get her bank statements?? Surely I have some rights as a daughter?!
Her estate lawyer and my lawyer both said it would be a criminal matter if money was stolen before she died.
Hi unique,

sorry to hear about your mother and your issues with your family.

I am currently going through what seems to be a very similar situation and was wondering how things worked out for you?

unique

17 March 2019
I'm sorry to hear of your experience

I've decided to let it go
It was hard coming to that decision but having been through a few battles since my late mothers death I don't have the energy for another :(
I can't remember if I mentioned on an earlier comment but I was going to try and get her accounts audite3d. I know exactly the day the $$ would have been transferred into my siblings account

How are you proceeding?

sqirrels

8 March 2021
I have only been making a serious attempt in the last couple of weeks despite the estate being settled over a year ago. So far, it's mostly been dead ends but the suggestion to contact NCAT is new to me so I am going to give that a go.

Yeah, I started with then intention of letting the whole thing slide knowing it would probably fail and just be exhausting and heartbreaking, but I just had to give it a shot

unique

17 March 2019
It's hard isn't it :(

Let me know if you make any progress - it might inspire me :)

sqirrels

8 March 2021
It's hard isn't it :(

Let me know if you make any progress - it might inspire me :)
I will.

It seems like these situations are very easy to get into but almost impossible to remedy so I am happy to share anything that could help someone going through the same