Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Notified to Vacate Rental Property by Real Estate Agents - Compensation?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Paul Dodkins, 5 August 2015.

1. Paul Dodkins

Paul Dodkins Member

I have twice been given sixty days notice to vacate rental property within 18 months due to renovations. Both times, no renovations were carried out. Can I get compensation for moving costs from the real estate agents?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,

Since you have no contractual agreement with the real estate agent and I doubt the real estate agent had anything to do with deciding to do or not do the renovations I would say no, you have no recourse against the real estate agent.

The landlord on the other hand, perhaps. The law states that a 60 day notice to vacate can be given to a tenant if renovations or repairs are to be carried out and they cannot be carried out with the tenant living there. I am not sure whether the requirement to perform the renovations can be enforced at law or not.

I would contact Consumer Affairs in VIC and speak to them about your options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...