Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Notified to Vacate Rental Property by Real Estate Agents - Compensation?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Paul Dodkins, 5 August 2015.

  1. Paul Dodkins

    Paul Dodkins Member

    5 August 2015
    Likes Received:
    I have twice been given sixty days notice to vacate rental property within 18 months due to renovations. Both times, no renovations were carried out. Can I get compensation for moving costs from the real estate agents?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Since you have no contractual agreement with the real estate agent and I doubt the real estate agent had anything to do with deciding to do or not do the renovations I would say no, you have no recourse against the real estate agent.

    The landlord on the other hand, perhaps. The law states that a 60 day notice to vacate can be given to a tenant if renovations or repairs are to be carried out and they cannot be carried out with the tenant living there. I am not sure whether the requirement to perform the renovations can be enforced at law or not.

    I would contact Consumer Affairs in VIC and speak to them about your options.

Share This Page