VIC False Advertisement by Real Estate Agents?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AYS

7 January 2017
Hi,

I recently signed the lease for a space for my shop and it was advertised to be 28 sqm. The real estate agents provided the measurement on the website. I did go in and have a quick look at the premises before signing but didn't have time to actually measure.

When I ask the agent for the floor plan, they couldn't provide one but informed me that the space is basically 4x7m. The other day, I finally got the keys so went in to take the actual measurement myself just in case, turned out that it is 18sqm instead of 28.

The thing is that I still want to take the space but I have planned the layout based on 28sqm and now will have to redo it all over. Plus I feel like I got swindled.

What could I possible ask the real estate agent to compensate in this situation? I believe this was a mistake by the agent not the owner. By the way sqm is not specified in the lease, just on their ad and email.

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Reduced rent is the obvious answer. Though they may say either take the existing rent as is, or offer to cancel the lease so you just go away.

What is your preference?

Reactions: AYS

AYS

7 January 2017
Thanks for your reply. As you said, the real state agent told me that I can cancel the lease or might be able to get the rent reduction. I'm hoping I can get the rent reduction. Just waiting for more info atm.