VIC Normal Booze Bus Procedure?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

11qa

8 October 2014
Hi, went through a booze/drug bus last night and I had stopped my car just a block away to rinse my mouth with listerine (I do not drink). Anyway, when I got to the bus (which of course I did not know was there) I had a reading, I was not drink driving and told them I just rinsed my mouth out a block back. I went though the whole procedure inside the bus after a half an hour or so and of course I had Zero alcohol and drugs (its the first time I have ever been through this hence the question). At the end a sergeant comes to me with a red covered book ask's about the police treatment and then wants me to sign the book, I didnt really want to sign anything (I did not say that to him) but I signed. My question is this just normal procedure? Should I have signed regardless of police treatment?
thanks

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi 11qa,

Do you know what the book was that the sergeant asked you to sign? Did the sergeant or anyone else explain to you for what purpose was the signing? Was it just a feedback form?

I would advise you not to sign anything without reading it properly first.

11qa

8 October 2014
Thank you for your reply
It looked like a large thick plain red coved guessed book the type you sign or write
comments after being to some event.
He asked a number of questions related to police treatment and
would write down as he asked each question and did I agree?
after which he faced the book to me with his handwriting and
to sign I did not have my glasses with me so I could not
really read his handwriting and assuming what he was asking is
what he wanted me to agree with. I did not want to sign
anything regardless of their treatment I did feel uncomfortable about it, especially after proving the zero result but again assume this was the procedure, they then showed me to my car; do you think it was just a feedback book?
would this be normal practise?
thanks, kind regards

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
It does sound like a feedback book. Particularly if the police was asking you about your experience and their treatment of you. Perhaps they were training new police officers and would like feedback on how such new recruits acted. They should have explained to you the purpose of the book in any event. However, I would not worry about it. If it was to be used as evidence against you, which is unlikely, it would likely be inadmissible since they did not identify the document and you did not know what was being recorded in the book and what you were signing.

11qa

8 October 2014
Thank you
I think after your comments you have my mind a little at ease
now. The first constable that gave me the initial breath test
was young, in fact when I was in the bus and having the
occassional conversation he misunderstood a question and
thought I asked how long he had been in the police which he
replied about a year and a few other instances that happened
makes me think that this must be the case.
Thank you very much for your help and relpies.