Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

Non-resident Beneficiary of Mum's Deceased Estate - Addressing a s 104-215?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by expatty, 11 March 2016.

1. expatty

expatty Member

Hi, I grew up in Australia but moved OS a while ago and am a non-resident for tax purposes. My mum and 2 siblings still live in Australia and with my siblings, I am likely to be one of 3 main beneficiaries of my mum's deceased estate when she passes away.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some help on how to deal with s 104-215 of the ITAA97 which sets out when a 'K3 event' occurs.

It only applies to non-real estate assets (shares, managed investments, etc.) and my mum thinks there is enough real estate, cash and pre-1985 shares to distribute to me such that I get an equal 1/3 of her deceased estate and the K3 rule is not triggered. But I know my mum has not amended her will to make this clear.

Assuming the will just says that my mum leaves all her assets to be divided between her 3 children, will the executors of will do so in the most tax-efficient way of their own accord? Or does she need to amend her will to expressly say that the division is to be done in a tax efficient way and give the executors of will a power or appropriation so they can decide on the division and avoid a K3 event from being triggered if possible?

Any suggestions on how she might otherwise address s 104-215? I don't think she will want to create a testamentary trust and I am under the impression that their use as an efficient vehicle is not clear cut.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

2. CathL

CathL Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ClareB likes this.