Noisy Neighbours in Sydney Apartment Block

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HighFences

19 May 2014
I live in an apartment in Sydney (owner occupier) and generally its pretty peaceful at night. There seem to be some new people who moved into an apartment on my floor last week (not sure if they’re tenants or owners) and they’re making a lot of noise late into the night. I haven’t been able to get to sleep at a decent hour most nights because of them. I'm pretty sure our body corporate rules say that you can't be so noisy as to disturb other residents. What can or should I do to make them stop?

HarrietJ

24 April 2014
I live in an apartment in Sydney (owner occupier) and generally its pretty peaceful at night. There seem to be some new people who moved into an apartment on my floor last week (not sure if they’re tenants or owners) and they’re making a lot of noise late into the night. I haven’t been able to get to sleep at a decent hour most nights because of them. I'm pretty sure our body corporate rules say that you can't be so noisy as to disturb other residents. What can or should I do to make them stop?

Firstly I would suggest writing them a polite note, requesting they keep it down (maybe they're reasonable). If that doesn't work, contact your body corporate, if there is a rule in the buildings tenancy agreement that says they need to keep the noise down then you are definitely within your rights to complain about this. Continuing to breach the tenancy agreement can result in eviction.

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'day HighFences,

Fair Trading NSW sets out a suggested approach on their FAQ page:
The best approach is to try to resolve the problem yourself, so talk to the person first. If that doesn’t work or, if you feel intimidated, you have two choices. You can ask the owners corporation to issue them with a Notice to Comply with a By-Law then seek a fine if they keep breaching. Or you can apply for mediation through Fair Trading to have a mediator assist you to discuss the issue with them.

Hope that helps.