QLD Lodging Nuisance Complaint Against Next Door Apartment to Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

simke

21 November 2016
Good day,

My partner and I are apartment owners in Brisbane CBD. Apartment next to us has been used for short term rentals for few months now, which is causing a lot of issues in terms of noise and security. I have spoken with body corporate, but unfortunately there is nothing they can do. We do have on-site security, but again they can't do much apart from asking for the noise to be kept down. Body corporate has suggested to start calling the police instead of on-site security for any further noise/nuisance complaints.

Noise/nuisance issues arise pretty much every weekend and often on weekdays as well.

Given that current situation is really impacting our ability to enjoy our current place of residence, is there a case for private nuisance complaint/action? Is there anything in legal sense that we can do to resolve this situation and enjoy our property in peace?

Lance

31 October 2015
As long as they are causing a disturbance such as late night parties, noisy dogs or construction noise, etc. you are well within your rights to make a complaint to the police. The compliant report can also be used as if your were to take the matter to court. Once you have made a formal complaint you should be able to have the body corporate pass on the complaints to the unit owners.

simke

21 November 2016
Thank you for your reply Lance. Good to know know that they can be used to take matters to the court, as this is what we're looking to do.