Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA No Partnership Agreement - Am I Entitled a Larger Share?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by BlackB, 27 August 2016.

1. BlackB

BlackB Member

I am a sole trader and had been working with a family member who provided me with their stock to sell. I developed the systems and manage the sales of the stock and we shared in the decision making and both lived off of drawings from the bank accounts which I held under my name.

After 2 years, we had a disagreement and I wished to terminate the business relationship. As such, I tried to negotiate a handover agreement of the systems and also transferred a large amount of money to help him continue trading. In the end, we couldn't reach an agreement and I withheld the remaining monies in my business bank accounts which equated less than what I transferred across to him.

My question is as a partnership agreement wasn't in place, would this arrangement be considered an 'implied' partnership?. If so, would I be entitled to claim a larger share than what I came out with? If not, can he claim a share of the monies I withheld?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Messy. You do have a partnership, but without a written agreement it is hard to work out an equitable split. Either you mutually reach a decision, or go to mediation or you need an accountant or tax lawyer to go through the books to work out a fair split.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...