Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

SA Bankrupt Business Partner - Liable for Loan Agreement?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by pianissimo, 20 April 2015.

1. pianissimo

pianissimo Member

My business partner and I took out a business loan. My business partner then moved overseas and has decided to not come back to Australia nor pay any of his financial obligations. I changed the business to my name and therefore changed the business to a sole trader - therefore I have a different ABN now.

The paperwork for the contract was signed only by my business partner, apart from me signing as a witness. I also signed on the joint bank account but no details of my name were on the contract. Of course the partnership ABN was listed on the paperwork.

I am guessing that I am liable for the loan agreement, but I am wanting to confirm that that is truly the case?

Many thanks

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi there,

If you weren't named on the loan, then I can't see why you would be personally liable. However, what is the security for the loan? Was it your joint business? Or another asset?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pianissimo

pianissimo Member

Well, when we applied for the loan I gave them my work details, my partner gave his information - I'm assuming they ran the numbers and gave us the loan. The loan was for the particular items that formed part of the business.