NSW New Law for Names on Debit Card?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Emily's

4 January 2017
Hi,

I was told by my bank that it is now a new law where new debit cards are not issued with middle initials.

My previous debit card had my full name with my middle initial. When the new replacement debit card came in the mail, the middle initial was excluded. I called them to ask for a replacement, they said it would cost me $15 for the replacement.

I objected to that because I said it was their fault. To cut a long story short, the bank called me to inform me that the company that issues the cards informed them it is now a new law where middle initials are not included on replacement cards or Mr, Mrs or Ms. The exemption to this is Drs. I told him I thought it was a load of crap.

So, is it true?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
There is some new law, but it's about fees and surcharges, and AFAIK, doesn't have much, if anything,
to do with the format of names on cards.

Emily's

4 January 2017
There is some new law, but it's about fees and surcharges,
and AFAIK, doesn't have much, if anything,
to do with the format of names on cards.
What's AFAIK?

Why would the bank tell me what they said then? They seemed happy to waive the $15 replacement fee and order the new card so why would they tell me this info?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

Why would they say it?
I do not suspect any great conspiracy to lie.
Perhaps the teller has misunderstood something that they had been told
in a very lightweight training session, or, more likely,
something they heard third hand in the tea room.
Or, that individual is just stupid.
I am not an expert on retail credit cards, but as far as I know,
there is no law regulating how cardholder names appear on cards.
That stuff is usually internal to the card provider.
(note however that there are market-wide arrangements about how card numbering works)

Emily's

4 January 2017
AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

Why would they say it?
I do not suspect any great conspiracy to lie.
Perhaps the teller has misunderstood something that they had been told
in a very lightweight training session, or, more likely,
something they heard third hand in the tea room.
Or, that individual is just stupid.
I am not an expert on retail credit cards, but as far as I know,
there is no law regulating how cardholder names appear on cards.
That stuff is usually internal to the card provider.
(note however that there are market-wide arrangements about how card numbering works)

Thanks for replying.

Ok, because I requested to have my middle initial put back on my debit card (the replacement one did not have it), they told me I would have to pay $15. I objected to that saying it was their mistake. Their argument was there was nothing wrong with the card, I'd still be able to use it, so if I wanted a new card with my initial on it, I'd have to pay.

I called back after the weekend and argued that it's still their fault and I shouldn't be paying it. I asked to speak to the manager. This guy put me on hold then came back and said "I spoke to the manager and he agreed to a 'one off' of waiving the fee".

At first I thought "so much for me getting to talk to the manager".

Anyway I said thanks and left it at that. Then he called back the next day saying the company that issues the cards have informed them there is a new law where they no longer print initials on any cards. I told him I thought that was a load of rubbish and reluctantly said "OK, goodbye".

I'm wondering why they're doing this?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Ring them back and ask them "what is the name of this new law"?

Emily's

4 January 2017
Ring them back and ask them "what is the name of this new law"?

Trouble is they could tell me anything and I'd believe it. I mean how would I know if they're making up some name? It was only by chance I got the same operator both times when I called. I nearly died when he answered the second time. My luck I'd get him again

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Similar to Tim, I'm not aware of any law regarding this.

Trouble is they could tell me anything and I'd believe it, I mean how would I know if they're making up some name?
You would be able to search for the legislation to see if there is in fact, a law prohibiting middle initials appearing on debit cards (I really can't see there being one nor a rationale for why there would be one).

Emily's

4 January 2017
Similar to Tim, I'm not aware of any law regarding this.

You would be able to search for the legislation to see if there is in fact, a law prohibiting middle initials appearing on debit cards (I really can't see there being one nor a rationale for why there would be one).

I've tried Googling but nothing comes up. Is there anything specific I should search?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
I've tried Googling but nothing comes up. Is there anything specific I should search?
My post was in reply to your question which was "Trouble is they could tell me anything and I'd believe it, I mean how would I know if they're making up some name?"

Ask them the name of the supposed law, so then you can search for the name of the law they give you. Again, I highly doubt there is a law prohibiting the printing of middle initials on debit cards.