WA Neighbour issues - Advice please

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

waxpuppet

22 October 2022
Hi, I'm having an issue with my neighbour. Its not the home owner I believe it is a relative of his staying at the house. Neighbour has young kids, they never seem to leave the house and constantly shouting and screaming, I'm talking blood curdling horror movie screams, there's never any supervision or parenting. This screaming/shouting can occur any time of day or night, 5am, midday, 4pm, 10pm, even woke me up at 3am. I've caught the parent encouraging the kids to scream and shout through the holes in the fence. I was working in the garden and they were banging on it really loudly so I asked them to stop, I aslo asked them why they scream so much, at this point the parent put her head over the fence and began shouting out me saying the kids are allowed to scream, who do I think i am, I've lived here for so many years, etcetera. She was really aggressive and my partner is scared of her. There is a complete lack of supervision, many times seen the youngest climbing on the house roof and cars with no correction. They also have a dog which is completely neglected, its locked in the house/out of the house all day/night. The poor dog is so broken, just barks constantly when left alone, and again, this can be all night, early morning, whenever. Been several occasions where neighbour is home, dog is locked in the house barking and she plays loud music. Never seen this dog leave the house, never seen it out of the yard. I sent the COC barking dog letter to her and she put it back in our letterbox! I would really appreciate some guidance here as I have tried talking to them about it but have got absolutely nowhere, tried again today as we got woken at 7 30am by the screams and shouting. As there is rarely an adult around I asked the kids through the fence if they could keep it down, they didnt so i went out again and asked to speak to the their grandpa who owns the house. I spoke to him in a polite manner about all these issues and all i got was its unfortunate that you bought the house next door. He then said something Iike 'stop chatting up the kids', i pulled him up on that repeatedly asked what he meant by that but got no answer. I'm really upset about that comment, in 10 months thats the first time ive spoken to the kids. Bumped into the family who live directly across from us and they even can hear all the noise, my other neighbour too. I would be so grateful for any advice, never had bad neighbours before.
thanks

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear waxpuppet,

Your options are:

1. persist to reach a dialogue with the neighbour - if you can’t by yourself, see if other neighbours are prepared to band together;

2. Find a mediator to try to get the neighbour to discuss ways to resolve;

3. Contact council - who may assist again to open dialogue;

4. If there is concern of children’s welfare, or threat to public, or threat to someone, police may be interested. Get a restraining order.

5. Initiate a claim from tribunal of your state.

Neighbour Disputes are tricky - because they are frequently low in law and high in emotions. Be calm and patient and but also bear in mind not everyone is willing to deal with you.

Good luck!

-Nighthelyn