Need advice about abusive brother

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aussia89

3 June 2018
(I am asking for a friend, talking in his point of view. He isn’t taking action and I just want to show him his options)

Also I was not sure which su forum to put this under

I would like to first point out I am only 19 years old and don’t know much about law
My brother is 23 years old and still lives with my parents and I. He has violent outbursts and I don’t feel safe in the house and around him, nor have I ever. He has hit my parents on multiple occasions, beaten my father even splitting his head open, once even threw a knife at my head.
He has even convinced my grandmother that he’s in debt and has started taking her pensions she acquired legally. I’m to scared to tell her and I think my parents are too.
We are a poor family and every time the subject of him getting a job or moving out is brought up he threatens my parents with suicide and murdering them by burning down the house. I believe he truly would murder us and burn down the house if he were kicked out.
I’m scared and I’m not sure who to contact... if I call authorities he won’t be put away for long and I’m sure he will comeback.
Is there any way I could legally get him into a mental institution or something where I can feel safe at home and my parents. This is truly horrifying me and I think his outbursts are getting worse.
Please could use any advice - thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Which state is your friend in?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Probably did not get enough good old fashioned discipline when he was younger.... that is what teaches a man to be able to discipline his own emotions as he gets older even when there are issues disturbing him. If you are not taught to discipline your emotions, then how will you learn? Pick it from the magical discipline tree?? No, parents reap what they sow, and unfortunately the OP is in it as well through no fault of his own.

From a legal perspective, keep a diary of everything that happens. If he gets violent, you have to call police, every time. There may be free family counseling services available as well? Try relationships Australia?

It is unfortunate that you cannot send this type off to join the military, because they will sort him out QUICK SMART

Reactions: xshellsx78

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Sounds like some serious mental health issues. He shouldn't be at home.
He should be admitted to an institution and receive treatment.

Next time he goes off, call the police and demand he be taken under the mental health act. Threatening life is not a joke!

Clancy

6 April 2016

Next time he goes off, call the police and demand he be taken under the mental health act. Threatening life is not a joke!

Reporting to police - yes!

When a family member becomes abusive over time, it is very easy to adapt to that, so that the behavior gets tolerated more and more, however, the more it is tolerated, the worse it gets until one day you (or even them) find yourself being carried off in an ambulance.....

*better to be carried off in a police vehicle than an ambulance*

Pennycrow

19 August 2018

I really hope the mental health act thing works. My experience, was my highly unstable partner being sent home with myself and the children from the hospital when he was meant to be held under the act, because they were afraid he would go "code black" and they wanted to avoid a scene at the hospital or him being further distressed.