QLD Meeting change of circumstances, to change orders

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Elliot

29 March 2018
Having said that i was a Mckenzie's friend for someone a couple of months ago who ended up in serious trouble for not taking the time they were meant to be taking with their kids. It was an interstate thing too. The Judge AND the ICL barrister made them pull out 2 years worth of bank statements and the Judge basically said "well on this date you spent x on x but you claim to not be able to afford tickets how does that work?. It was not pretty I can tell you

Jetstar do afterpay. You can pay flights off over 4 x 2 week payments

Just be careful, I am not so sure this will be struck out easily,

I work overseas, which has also played a big part in that and have mentioned that in a previous post.

Whilst the financial aspect is huge, it's also logistical, when I fly my kid and an accompanying adult overseas, I need to be available and have the right accommodation for them etc, it's not a simple matter. So I do between 50%-80% as it's currently the best I can do.

Elliot

29 March 2018
They won't be so willing to flout the orders if they wind up having to pay your legal costs and all of your travel.

Seek two sets of orders - the first being that it's dismissed; the second being that mum a) ensures the child is not restrained from flying unaccompanied or that mum otherwise covers all costs associated with the adult supervisor, and that mum pays 50% of travel fees to ensure the child is able to spend as much time with you as the orders allow.

As to the kid self-harming, that's mum's report, isn't it? Has mum taken the child to see a psychologist? If not, why not?

At some point, mum has to take responsibility for parenting this kid. She can't blame you for everything that happens when the kid is in her care, just as you can't blame her for everything that happens when the kid is in your care.

Yes they have taken our kid to many doctors. I doubt the severity of the issues being raised, but I don't think my ex is completely lying. What I think is happening is that they are trying to blame me for everything that's happening, rather than taken a good hard look at their parenting and how that is effecting our child. Kid's know when you hate the other parent, you don't have to come out and say the exact words and i think my kid feels that.

Elliot

29 March 2018
Having said that i was a Mckenzie's friend for someone a couple of months ago who ended up in serious trouble for not taking the time they were meant to be taking with their kids. It was an interstate thing too. The Judge AND the ICL barrister made them pull out 2 years worth of bank statements and the Judge basically said "well on this date you spent x on x but you claim to not be able to afford tickets how does that work?. It was not pretty I can tell you

Jetstar do afterpay. You can pay flights off over 4 x 2 week payments. Flight centre do an interest free thingy.

Just be careful, I am not so sure this will be struck out easily, and maybe you dont want it to be if you can get some kind of shared cost for the flights order

What was the outcome of this?

Was the parent ordered to pay something or was just warned for future?

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
What was the outcome of this?

Was the parent ordered to pay something or was just warned for future?
Basically everything they said was not believed in any way shape of form as they had lied about their finances and despite a family report saying the kids should move up to live with them things stayed exactly how they were being all of the holidays and half the summer ones. They did not even get a 50% cost adjustment for the flights they wanted the other side to pay.

They did not "lose" any time. It was a total disaster that they could not get out of.

Of course, each case is different. I'm just saying what happened in this one. The kids were old enough to travel on their own and no overseas was involved

Elliot

29 March 2018
Basically everything they said was not believed in any way shape of form as they had lied about their finances and despite a family report saying the kids should move up to live with them things stayed exactly how they were being all of the holidays and half the summer ones. They did not even get a 50% cost adjustment for the flights they wanted the other side to pay.

They did not "lose" any time. It was a total disaster that they could not get out of.

Of course, each case is different. I'm just saying what happened in this one. The kids were old enough to travel on their own and no overseas was involved

That is completely tragic! But also they should not have lied about their finances. If you can afford to have your kids, why wouldn't you choose to? If I could, it wouldn't even be an issue, I'd be requesting more time.