Marrying someone on a tourist visa...

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

hc_andy

29 May 2019
If my gf arrives on a tourist visa and we intend to marry whilst she is here, can she apply for a bridging visa to remain in Australia while we submit and await the outcome of our spousal visa - or will she have to go home when her tourist visa expires.

I ask this because in the past...say 15 years ago I married my ex-wife (from the USA) this way, but not sure if the laws have changed since then. She came on a tourist visa, we got married during her first month here and then applied for a bridging and spousal visa which allowed her to remain in Australia.

Is this way still possible or do they have to return home now after their tourist visa expires and then we go through the normal process of submitting the spousal visa to bring them to Australia?

pratik5876

6 April 2019
www.raoconsultants.com
If my gf arrives on a tourist visa and we intend to marry whilst she is here, can she apply for a bridging visa to remain in Australia while we submit and await the outcome of our spousal visa - or will she have to go home when her tourist visa expires.

I ask this because in the past...say 15 years ago I married my ex-wife (from the USA) this way, but not sure if the laws have changed since then. She came on a tourist visa, we got married during her first month here and then applied for a bridging and spousal visa which allowed her to remain in Australia.

Is this way still possible or do they have to return home now after their tourist visa expires and then we go through the normal process of submitting the spousal visa to bring them to Australia?

Hi Andy,

Your concern here is a bit complicated & seems like requires highly experienced one that knows about visa & Immigrations along with Australian Spouse & marriage legal terms & conditions.
I would like to suggest you to consult Overseas consultants for the Australia PR process. They can provide insights.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
[QUOTE="pratik5876, post: 77199, member: 24372"I would like to suggest you to consult Overseas consultants for the Australia PR process. They can provide insights.[/QUOTE]Whereas I would suggest consulting an Australian Registered Migration Agent who is also A lawyer.