TAS License question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chloecityrad

4 April 2021
Hi guys,

Currently my license is disqualified for one more month. I was recently apprehended by police, they came to my house saying the seen me driving 20 minutes prior, I was charged and released on bail with conditions of not to be behind a motor vehicle. My date to get my license again is before my court appearance. So am I innocent until proven guilty and allowed to drive when the initial disqualification period ends?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are you currently suspended, or disqualified?

Chloecityrad

4 April 2021
I'm actually confused. Because when I went to court last I received a disqualification for 6 months and it ends May 2nd. However, in my letter from my lawyer it says this and also he (the judge) suspended your license, he did not cancel it.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Disqualified means that you are unlicensed for the period of the disqualification.
However, your licence is not automatically restored at the end of the disqualification period - you will have to re-apply.
And no, there is no grace period etc.
Have a read of this.

Chloecityrad

4 April 2021
Thanks champ. I'll have to reapply, yes. So I'll know then if I'm able to drive again or have to wait until my court dates. Cheers

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Once you do get your licence back, be sure to also apply for
a variation in your bail conditions... cob.