VIC Legality Of pneumatic launcher.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ATK0001

17 June 2020
Hi,
I’m wondering what the law states about pneumatic launchers, Are they classed as firearm/Weapons.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I’m not overly familiar with the Victorian weapons legislation. But, my understanding is that something like this would be considered a ‘dangerous article’, on the basis it’s not within the list of ‘controlled weapons’. the basic rule with a dangerous article is that you must not have a dangerous article in a public place without a lawful excuse - such as it being a necessary part of your job, and you’re performing functions which require you to have it with you.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
What reason do you have for wanting one?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Science project as in ‘this is part of a structured assessment for an education provider’, or science project as in ‘it would be awesome to launch objects over distances in the name of science’?

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Let me put it to you in crayon.

Anything you propel vertically, that is in the nature of a toy, or an experimental, rocket or aircraft - > less likely to be a problem.
Anything that you propel other than vertically, if it's not an obviously low powered toy, even if it doesn't look like a gun,
will almost certainly be a problem of some kind.

If we are talking rocketry, then you may care to do a keyword search of the CASA website for "rocket"

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Well, ‘school project’ would indicate the first option, so we’re still none the clearer.