NSW Legal to Sleep in Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

7seven7

17 March 2015
I own a car that just sits around and I was wondering what the laws around leaving it in town and using it for sleeping when I go out drinking and can't find a place to stay

S

Sophea

I think this would largely depend on the town you are living in. Theoretically there may be places where you can park "permanently" without incurring a fine or being towed, however you run the risk of authorities considering your vehicle abandoned. That's the parking issue. Sleeping in your car is another thing. Some areas allow it some don't. Sorry can't be more specific.

Reactions: 7seven7

HOS

10 March 2015
Brisbane Queensland
In Qld. you can't sleep in the front compartment, and even if you sleep in the back, you will have to prove you are not ‘in charge’. So even if the police haven't seen you driving, just by being in the car under the influence of alcohol or drugs (remember, zero alcohol if you are on a learner, provisional, probationary or restricted licence), you risk being charged with breaking the law. Of course there will be local council bylaws that also apply.