Late Payments from Employer are Leaving Me in Debt

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Neil

7 June 2014
I'm a contracted education provider, Now for the last 6 months, payment has been delayed by between 1 week and 2 weeks on 4 occasions.

I put in my invoice for my months work on a set day and set time and the promise from my employer is that payment will go in by the end of the next working week.

Now there have been 4 occasions where this has been delayed by a week or more, leaving me with out money for the following week,

I have been getting small loans to see me through those periods which are expensive, and now my payment is late again and I cant get a small loan because I have one last payment of a loan due that I can't pay.

These late payments are costing me real money, loan fees and interest, bank fees from bounced direct debits. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi Neil,
Have you been proactive with contacting them that payment needs to occur on X date? By phone and in writing? Have you been relentless everyday with it? Have you made them aware of what a big issue their late payment is for you?

You also could add in terms in your invoice that if they don't pay within your specified period, eg, within 7 days of the invoice date, that they'll be liable for 10% interest for each day payment remains overdue and unpaid.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Neil,
From a practical perspective, are you in a position where you can "invoice in advance" to mitigate the slowness of your employer/agency?