VIC Large amount of fines/overseas travel

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ToManyFines

7 June 2023
Apologies if this has been answered before but from what I've read my circumstances are slightly different and I want to make sure.

I have over 9k in fines(mostly old) public transport related, a few for parking fines. I already have 3k of the fines on a payment plan that are car/traffic related.
I have been told that if I don't put the others on a payment plan then a warrent will be put out.

First question is can I travel overseas at Christmas if I have a warrent out for these fine.

Secondly I would like to take the fines to court and try to get them reduced due to my circumstances, I don't want to okay them $30 a week for 50 years because I fare evaded a little to much when I was younger. Can I wait till I get the warrant put out snd then take it to court?
What's my best course if action here? Other than just putting them on a payment plan.

Thanks so much

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Suggest you call our office for assistance.

There are additional details needed such as circumstances, how old the fines are, what stage are they at? etc

Much will also depend on whether the warrants are registered with DFAT.

ToManyFines

7 June 2023
Thanks for the info, was unable to find a number to call.

I currently have enough bills and debts including a 10k credit card, I earned about 55k last year.

Most are PT fines 2013-18 and few more recent mainly parking fines. 22 fines in total.
Obviously ignored them for a bit to long.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney