Implications of Leaving Country as a Suspect Under Criminal Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bhobby

22 January 2016
If you left the country as a suspect but could not prove that you were (so that you could sort it all out while at home) and didn't want to go into the police station asking question thus incriminating yourself even though you're innocent, can it reflect badly on you under criminal law or what can happen from this if you were to be charged eventually?

i.e If I planned on leaving to travel, should i just tell the police that I wish to know if i have any charges or anything that may impede me in my travels or something?

Cause I want to go travel but I don't want it to reflect as though I am fleeing and maybe get me in worse trouble. I have filed for FOI's and they say I'm all good. In that case, I should be fine to leave, right because I have taken steps to ensure I am cleared and am not trying to evade police, because if there was something going on I would rather take care of it now and move on then after go see the world and not leave then find out that I was right and my friend made a false report on me and that now it looks like I'm guilty, even though I tried on numerous occasions to find out the truth and face it in court.

I have my reasons to think as though I am under investigation even though I cannot gather proof, but at the same time, there are no laws in place for me to challenge an investigation and go to court with full cooperations and sort all this crap out.

I want to go and move on with my life but I don't want it to look as though I am trying to run, so I have tried on a numerous occasions to find out the truth. (note) I have not been charged but have been watched and surveilled and have stood around in plain sight to be arrested if that is what they wanted. Nohing has happened. It's very frustrating.

S

Sophea

Crime isn't my area and I don't know for sure, but I would get a written statement of police so that you can prove you were not trying to evade them and they said it was okay for you to travel. I'd be interested in hearing comment from someone who knows more about this though.

Criminal experts?

Lance

31 October 2015
If you are buying return tickets and you have planned a stay for a fixed timeframe, you would have grounds to establish your intent to return. So basically, if the police haven't charged you with anything or questioned you in relation to a crime you would have no reason to believe you are thought to have committed a crime.