NSW Joint Tenants - Should Life Tenant be on Certificate of Title?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alexander_Descartes

1 July 2016
I am a life tenant in an estate. I received this benefit through a will about 5 years ago. I just posted a question in this forum about my status as owner or tenant for insurance purposes. I have a second more general question about life estates.

Before posting on this forum, I rang the NSW Land Titles Office to find out who is the registered owner of the property. I was informed (1) The Certificate of Title is currently held by the solicitor who handled the will. (2) The registered owners of the property at the present time are the two executors of the estate as joint tenants. I am one of those executors.

My understanding is that the Certificate should show my status as a life tenant. Shouldn't the solicitor have done this? If this is the case, how serious is this as an error on his part? Is it OK to just leave things as they are?

Alexander_Descartes

1 July 2016
For the record, my life tenancy is of a type where I have full possession of the property, do not pay rent. I am entitled to let the property and collect rents, and I don’t have a landlord. I am required to pay the rates and the keep the property in good order and condition - which I do.

All of these rights and duties are specified in the will.