VIC Joint bank account opened fraudulently, after Separation.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Parallel

3 February 2017
I have been asking "the bank" to give me details and copies of the signatures on the bank verification documents for a joint bank account that my husband opened without my knowledge after we had separated. I have proof I was interstate at the time. I only discovered this joint bank account several months after the account had been closed. I have asked and asked for information and each time answers are not forthcoming. I applied to the FOS and they have responded that is outside of their 'terms of reference' (longer than 2 years ago). In appearing 'transparent', "the bank" provided me another copy of the bank statements but did not release any verification evidence which would prove without a doubt I was not involved in the opening of this joint bank account. It also casts light on other irresponsible lending that the bank allowed and at my expense. I have been advised to report it to the police. Is this correct? If the bank won't hand over the information, the FOS won't make them, is this the next step?

sammy01

27 September 2015
1. you cant beat the banks... they are worth millions, they will send you from pillar to post for no good result.
2. if it isn't directly impacting on you - as in you're not getting hassled for repayments, why worry?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Suspect money may have been misappropriated by husband and 'hidden' from the family court. We need more information from the OP.

Parallel

3 February 2017
This bank account was opened at a nab city branch, I have never attended.
I was away interstate when the account was opened (I have evidence - airline tickets etc).
I had severed my relationship with my ex and there was an extension on a Line of Credit with the nab on the family home pending at the time; I was blindly the guarantor. The ex and the nab worked together and did not include me in 90% of the communications of the re-financing and later dis-allowed me access to any of the important documentation.
Meanwhile the ex opened this nab bank account and it was put in joint names fraudulently. Whether it was the ex taking further advantage of me or a mistake by the bank? I had absolutely no knowledge of it at all; I was thousands of miles away. $1,500 over a 6 week period was withdrawn before it was closed. The bank conveniently misplaced any verification signatures and the Financial Ombudsmen cited it was beyond their Terms of Reference. The Line of Credit that I was guarantor cost me and my children's home. My ex was earning less than the substantial interest on the loan and the nab decided to waive the requirement to provide his tax returns for the further line of credit; despite admitting his company had gone into liquidation and not enough income and multiple substantial debts. Notes provided by the nab did reveal that the bank manager and the ex met off site without my knowledge and discussed my children's testamentary trust properties as the collateral without my consent. The nab have managed to wriggle out of all of their responsibilities.

Sadly, my children and I could really do with the $1,500 now.