NSW Job Application - Can I Declare No Conviction under Criminal Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashlat1

10 September 2015
Hello, I received a section 10 a couple of years ago and I am now filling out my application to teach. Can I declare no conviction under the Criminal Records Act 1991 of Criminal Law?

Thanks

Chris Aylward

1 September 2015
Yes, provided the question is whether you have any criminal convictions and not whether you have ever been charged with a criminal offence.

S

Sophea

Hi Ashlat1, I agree that it depends on how the question is asked. If you got a "section 10" for an offence and no conviction is recorded), depending on how its worded, you don't need to disclose the guilty finding.

A 'section 10' is actually defined by legislation as a conviction that becomes immediately spent upon its making and therefore has the same status as spent convictions - (which is that they do not need to be disclosed). Therefore even if a prospective employer were to ask you about any prior findings of guilt or section 10s, you don't have to disclose it as long as any conditions or bond attached to your section 10 have expired.