NSW Is this a scam or real?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jellybeen2143

15 July 2020
I received a call from a random Australian number and declined it, they left a message. This message was an automated voice saying they had my name down at the home of federal affairs and was launching an investigation into me, as my name had been down under illegal activity and had a warrant for my arrest. Then the person said to press one to speak to someone but it was a voicemail message so I hung up and deleted, very worried who could possibly be using my name or trying to scam me to clicking 1 on the phone. The Saturday before on the 11th of July I got another call from someone in Australia that I also didn't know and left a message of no noise. Keep in mind I am 16 and go to school and play sport and volunteer, I have not done anything that would be suspicious. Do I have a need to worry? I feel like if they did have a warrant for my arrest they wouldn't call and say that, no?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Almost certainly a scam .... We have a dept of home affairs in Australia, but they wouldn't be calling you & tipping you off ..... could have even got your number from a random number generator that just 'dials' numbers... As you responded they now know that is a legitimate number... You may start to get more weird calls.. Just ignore them

You did the right thing to delete the number...

Reactions: Jellybeen2143

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You can be confident that it's a scam.

Reactions: Jellybeen2143