QLD Is There a Time Limit for a Personal Injury Payment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

M.N

16 November 2015
Hi, I did an out of court personal injury settlement and was notified the amount they had offered. I had accepted, and this was in August of this year. As I am still waiting for the payment and the Lawyer's story keeps changing as to when I will receive payment, can you tell me if there is a time limit for this to go through? As this was a no win no fee lawyer, they have not received anything either I presume.

ShireenHazlett

11 May 2015
Brisbane
Hi MN that doesn't sound right. You generally should receive the money once all the clearances have gone through (for Medicare, Centrelink etc) and that usually takes up to 6 weeks max. You might need to have another lawyer look into it for you.

M.N

16 November 2015
I have received a cash advance 5 weeks ago, got told at the end of October, then in November, now maybe at the end of d=December. They have already started on the next lot of compensation and have not received the first lot of money yet, what can I do or say without stirring the pot?

Lawyering mum

26 September 2015
Sunshine Coast
If you have received an advance then it sounds like it may not have settled? If you have the "release and discharge" you can call Centrelink yourself and see where they (they are usually what takes the longest)...and can take up to 12wks, but my personal experience is that they are taking around 5wks at the moment. You need to speak with the compensation recovery department. Most insurers pay out within 7-10 days of receiving the clearance but have up to 28 days. If not, payment is received then they can be sued for the amount...