VIC Is Nosy Neighbour Breaking Any Australian Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Limbo

9 July 2016
My neighbour is creepy I find him all the time, ducking down behind the fence watching us through cracks. He climbs up his ladder while its leaning against my backyard bungalow on the fence line and takes photos into my backyard.

Recently he's started hiding behind his front fence taking photos of me and my wife when we walk out the front door and he's set up a microphone 6 feet from my font door with a lead going through his window.

This is totally not normal behaviour, is he breaking any Australian law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unlikely. It may be he thinks he is invisible and doesn't believe you notice him or he thinks you're a drug dealer and he is recording evidence for the police, or who knows what.

Have you said anything to the neighbour? Sometimes having a friendly chat about his behaviour and your concerns are enough to change behaviours. You might want to point out that having an open window for the microphone lead all the time is a security risk to him because criminals can use the gap for leverage with their jemmy.

Is the microphone on common property? If so, does he have permission of the body corporate to put his equipment on common property?

There is a bright side to having a nosy neighbour:
No Cookies | The Courier Mail