NSW Independent Contractors

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dandee

29 September 2020
Hi there,

I understand that as a contractor/subcontractor have the right to use their own equipment and supplies to complete the job, but is the hiring company able to supply and sell their own product to the contractor to use?

For example

If we were a tinting company, are we able to sell the the tints to the contractors and subcontractors to install for our customers? Customers need to receive the tint as advertised by our business, not the contractor's choice of tint otherwise there would be inconsistent warranties, quality of tint, styles and etc.

I have suggested to sell the tints rather than supply the tints to the contractors as it would be difficult to track whether the use of the tint was for their own private customers vs our own.

Thank you!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Well, the first thing you need to work out is whether they (the so-called contractors) are your customers,
and the retail customers are, in turn, theirs, or
if they (the contractors) are outsourced providers to you of installation services,
which, subject to the wording of the deal, makes the retail customers yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dandee

29 September 2020
Well, the first thing you need to work out is whether they (the so-called contractors) are your customers,
and the retail customers are, in turn, theirs, or
if they (the contractors) are outsourced providers to you of installation services,
which, subject to the wording of the deal, makes the retail customers yours.
Hi Tim,

Will try my best to respond to that:

• Retail customers (end user) belongs to me
  • The contractors would have to purchase the tint to install from us (would this make them our customer too?)
  • Contractors are used for the installation
I would say it would be the latter?

Philip Green

1 October 2020
ok I suggests don't go with contractors , hire your own employees, that will sell your products. surely it will also help in profit maximization.