NSW Incorrectly Charged by Retailer - Get My Money Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toqual

10 July 2014
As we reviewed our receipt, the items prices did not add up to the total - I was charged an extra $8. When I return to the shop, should I get all the money back? In accordance with the Australian consumer law guarantees, what am I eligible to?

S

Sophea

Dear Toqual,

Do you mean get all your money back and keep the products - i.e. get them for free? If so I assume you are thinking of the Supermarket Code of Conduct to regulate supermarkets with computerised checkouts. This is an optional code that is adopted voluntarily by supermarkets. If they are a signatory to it, they must advertise this at checkouts. The code states that if an item scans at a higher price than what is said on the shelf or advertisement, you are entitled to receive the first item free and all later items at the lower advertised price. (This does not however apply to tobacco, liquor, items without a barcode or items of value exceeding $50 (advertised price).

However, general consumer laws state that if an item is marked with a shelf price, a consumer is generally only required to pay that advertised price. Where two different prices are displayed on one item, you are entitled to purchase the goods for the lower price.

Go back to the store and alert them to the error. If they are a large retailer I'm sure they will be more than happy to correct any mistake and refund any excess paid.

Toqual

10 July 2014
Hi @Sophea

Thank you for your answer however the amount I was charged exceeded the ACTUAL total of the items. What am I entitled to on those basis?

DennisD

11 July 2014
Try simply telling them that you were overcharged, and see what they say

Am I correct that the amount in question is $8? Quoting the ACL to some vendor for the sake of $8 might raise some eyebrows