NSW If I inform the police of a person who is driving an unregistered car and they do nothing - if there is an accident are the police liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so what do you want the cops to do? stake out the persons house? how much $ blown. Oh and you want them to report back to you.

Story time. My ex is an idiot. She has this mobile home. When the kids are in the thing and it is moving she lets let lie in the beds, use the toilet etc. But they're not wearing seatbelts. I've got concerns. I go to the cops. The cops call her and say there has been a complaint. She has stopped. The cop told me they will log it on the system. That probably means stuff all.

Police have devices that monitor number plates. Way way back in the day it was stupid, but driving around for a week or two unregistered happened. I remember doing it when I was a poor uni student that needed to wait for one more pay cheque to clear before I could afford rego. Bad form. But these days the cops have these monitoring devices. So the cops are pro-active.

But this doesn't seem to satisfy you? you want the cops doing a stake out? reporting back direclty to you? and if they don't you reckon the cops should be liable? WTF?

To answer your original question. If the idiot driving an unregistered vehicle has an accident it is their fault. Not the cops. Only they will be liable. There nice and easy answer. Case solved Scooby doo.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Let's wrap this up by answering, in one short sentence, your original question.
That was
If I inform the police of a person who is driving an unregistered car and they do nothing - if there is an accident are the police liable?
Here's the answer....

"No"