SA ICL- what do they look at??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lillypilly

11 September 2016
Good morning brains trust :)
We have FINALLY been appointed an ICL.
Im trying to work out what does the ICL look at exactly?
Do they read all the affidavits that have been submitted?
Or do they only look at police reports etc?
Just not sure on the actual process, I only know that they are there to represent the childrens best intersts. So any information on what they exactly do would be appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They should look at everything you mentioned plus medical records and school reports.

Possibly investigate material that is alleged in affidavits and can possibly subpoena parents' medical records.

Reactions: lillypilly

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This is where things get tricky. Some ICL people do a great job, some not so great.

I'd start by asking what do they want to see and take things from there. Prompt them if they appear to miss something, but not so that it looks like you are trying to denigrate the other parent. You need to be careful not to get the ICL offside, while ensuring they look at everything relevant.

lillypilly

11 September 2016
yeah I think that will be fun to try and do :/ lol . I might take everything in a folder with me when I met with them ( I DO meet with them, don't I?) Then say something like "I was unsure if there was anything I would need to bring today, so I have brought everything. Would you like to see/copy anything?"

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Remember rule number 1. The ICL is NOT your friend then comes rule number 2: No contact with an ICL is good contact

lillypilly

11 September 2016
Ok. So be polite but dont speak unles spoken too sort of thing. Sorry for all the questions- I just really have zero idea on the ICL sort of things

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Ok. So be polite but dont speak unles spoken too sort of thing. Sorry for all the questions- I just really have zero idea on the ICL sort of things
I would have no contact with them whatsoever unless they request it or you have a procedural thing to inform them of.

So many people make the mistake of thinking they can bend the ear of the icl to sway the argument.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The above is good advice. Anyone who is a respondent to proceedings is not a friend to the other parties.

Treat them like you would the other party - serve all documents on them the same as you would the ex, and CC them into all legal correspondence with the ex, but that's pretty much it.