QLD Initial Contact with ICL - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey everyone,

ICL has been appointed and uploaded Notice of Address for Service. Work address, email and phone number. She has not contacted me directly yet.

Question 1: Do I wait to hear from her or do I make contact saying something like, "Hi I'm the father representing myself, how would you like documents to be served to you?"

Question 2: Am I required to server documents to her by hand or is service by email acceptable?

Question 3: If by hand, does it need to be by an independent party or am I amble to serve the documents?

I understand the ICL is not your friend. I am just trying to get the information to her correctly so she can do her job.

Thanks,

Mackaygirl33

9 June 2016
Hi,

I would think if they wanted to serve something on you but didn’t have your address they would have been chasing you for it. So if you’ve filed the notice (and have proof of doing so) you’re fine. Do you have access to the portal? Have you checked it’s been loaded there?

However since you are representing yourself, you can contact them directly but I would only do this when absolutely necessary. And in writing. Also the ICL can tell the other party that contact has occurred between the both of you.

For this situation since you just want to make sure they have received your address, I would check the portal and check with the courts to make sure it’s been loaded correctly and pursue that process if it hasn’t rather than go to the ICL first. As it needs to be on the court records anyway.

Hope this helps!

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey Mackaygirl,

Thanks for the response however reading what I had written S see that I wasn't completely clear.

The ICL has uploaded their Notice of Address for Service to the court portal which includes her contact details.(Work address, email and phone number).

I am now required to serve all documents on the ICL I presume.
So I was questioning if I should email her first and introduce myself or sit tight and wait for her to contact me and request the information.

I just didn't want to cause a stir doing the wrong thing but I did decide to email her in the end.

To many rules and etiquette's to follow.

Mackaygirl33

9 June 2016
Hey Mackaygirl,

Thanks for the response however reading what I had written S see that I wasn't completely clear.

The ICL has uploaded their Notice of Address for Service to the court portal which includes her contact details.(Work address, email and phone number).

I am now required to serve all documents on the ICL I presume.
So I was questioning if I should email her first and introduce myself or sit tight and wait for her to contact me and request the information.

I just didn't want to cause a stir doing the wrong thing but I did decide to email her in the end.

To many rules and etiquette's to follow.

Perfectly understandable. I would sit back and wait now. It’s not a quick process. It’s in your best interest to follow it to the letter and when in doubt just call up the court and ask what you should/could do. No harm there at all.