I crash into a vehicle reversing backward - Am I at fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

helenek

14 March 2024
Hi,
Today I was reversing out of my car park. I looked back and saw no one and the next second I had crashed into someone.
My car's right back bumper is a little damaged but the man's car left side is dug in from front to back wheel which is quite a long distance. I believe he was speeding and not paying attention otherwise how would I cause so much damage to his car by simply backing out. I am gonna try to find cctv footage to prove my claim but in the meantime could anyone let me know if it sounds like I could still be fully liable? I am not insured so this is financially scary...

Thank you
H

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
A couple of things. You may not like hearing this.

1. If you are not insured (that is, comprehensive, or at least TPP) ,
then get ready to pay.
(no, your CTP/Green Slip is not relevant here)

2. In "insurance think", the car that is moving is presumed to be at fault,
unless it is possible to show otherwise.

3. The shopping centre will almost certainly not just hand over any footage that they have
to some random who rings up wanting it.
You're probably looking at a subpoena for that.
And an injunction to stop them from erasing it/ over-writing it, as part of routine business.

4. What you "believe" is not evidence, and is worth nothing.

5. Further to item 1, if you are not insured, then this is going to cost you - personally - dozens of thousands of dollars. It's probably time to start preparing.