NSW Bumped into Another Car While Reversing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

wayne s.r

2 December 2015
I had pulled over to the side of the road to begin reversing so I could park. I checked all of my mirrors, looked over my shoulder and found that the street behind me was completely empty. So I began to reverse. As my vehicle approached closely to the side of the curb, checking in the last couple of feet through my left mirror that I was not getting too close to the kerb to damage my mag wheels.

In the meantime, a car had entered the street behind me approximately 40 meter's behind and to my right. I had checked the driver's side mirror twice on approach to my destination so was only looking at my left mirror, sure there was nothing behind. I was only moving back very slowly at approximately one meter per ten seconds. The driver came right up behind me directly in the path I was heading obviously coming up way too close to a car that was already reversing with reverse lights on.

The driver of the car behind me said he sounded his horn, but I heard nothing. He could have stayed back or reversed after it was obvious I was continuing my reverse totally oblivious of his entry into the road. I am on a disability support pension so I cannot afford to fix what he says I did to his car.

I believe there was some previous damage to his car close to where we touched, and believe me, touched is the appropriate word.

Please help me if possible.

Thank you

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Wayne,

my understanding is that usually the car reversing is liable for the damage to the other vehicle regardless of whether it was acting illegally.

However I would suggest getting specific advice on your situation, as sometimes both parties may both be liable.

This link from Legal Aid may assist: Crashed your car? - Legal Aid NSW.

I would suggest contacting legal aid or getting advice from a lawyer before agreeing to pay the damages the other driver wants. See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.

wayne s.r

2 December 2015
Thank you very much for your help and I will take your suggestion on board. A very helpful website thanks again... Please, if there are any more comments, please feel free to comment.

Cheers!!!