QLD Husband breached DVO police haven’t done anything

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mackaygirl33

9 June 2016
the police took out a dvo against my husband back in July listing myself and our two young children. It was a standard “to be of good behaviour” order. Despite physical abuse and destruction of property occurring.

An incident occurred one month ago wherein he breached the order involving both me and the kids. I went straight to the police and reported it. The officer took a statement from me, and said she would ring me when it was ready to sign. I have not heard from her since despite me leaving phone messages and attending at the station once asking to see her (she wasn’t there).

She did say they would have to speak to my husband to get his version of events and I understand that’s part of the process, but to my knowledge that has not happened.

I’m not sure where I stand. I am not sure why this has not progressed and no one will talk to me about it. What should I do?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ask when the officer that took the statement will be at work and make an appointment.

It may well be that the police have looked into it and decided that it is a non-issue. You have not given all the details. But by way of illuminating the point. My ex went to the police 1 month after I bumped into her at Coles. When I saw her I left my trolly and walked out of the shop. Technically it was a breach. But it was more just 2 people literally seeing each other in a shop. Not a word spoken. The cops interviewed me and sent me on my way. I reckon it is unlikely they even contacted the ex to tell her the outcome because they have better things to do.

It is just as likely that the cops noted it and deemed it of low concern. Given a month has passed without further cause for concern it has become a non-issue.

So can you describe the incident that you're describing as a breach? IF the police considered it serious I don't doubt they would have investigated it.

Mackaygirl33

9 June 2016
Thanks for the reply.

Without going into too much detail, it was another violent episode occurring over two hours in front of the children. He took my phone and car keys and would not let me leave the house.

At the time I reported it, the officer told me it would be investigated.

sammy01

27 September 2015
well I would definately chase that up with the officer you reported it to. Did you call 000 when the incident occured?

Mackaygirl33

9 June 2016
well I would definately chase that up with the officer you reported it to. Did you call 000 when the incident occured?
No, as he had my phone.
I managed to get the spare key for the car and drove myself and the kids to the police station.