QLD Human Rights Complaint about Qld Police

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ExposeThem

21 January 2022
Hi

I made a complaint to the Qld Human Rights Commission (QHRC) about discrimination that I received from the Qld Police when I spoke to them about domestic violence. QHRC gave agreed that there are potential breaches of both the Human Rights Act and the Anti-Discrimation Act. I received legal advice that acknowledged that this was the case and specifically mentioned sections of the Human Rights in regard to Recognition and Equality before the law.

The QHRC stated in their letter to both myself and QPS that the matter would be dealt with under the Anti-Discrimation Act. QPS have so far rejected any suggestion that their officers acted unprofessionally and have rejected my allegations. They are keen for the matter to be dealt with under the AD Act. I have reiterated my advice to QHRC that the HR Act is relevant.

QHRC want me to agree to the matter being dealt with solely under the AD Act. They want my decision quickly. I am unsure whether to agree to this.

I would be really interested in the advice that you may have about me gaining justice through this system.

Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What do you mean by "justice" here?

ExposeThem

21 January 2022
Hi Tim

Justice for me is validation that the QPS had treated me in a discriminatory manner, as per my complaint. I want acknowledgement from QPS of that.

I have been advised by both QHRC and a solicitor that their were likely breaches of both the Ant-Discrimination Act (AD Act) and the Human Rights Act in regards to particular police officers acting in a discriminatory fashion which has prevented an investigation of the perpetrator from taking place.

QHRC and QPS are keen for only the AD Act to be applied. I am just wanting to run this by someone like yourself to gain an understanding of why this may be the case before I agree to that.

Cheers

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you already have a lawyer formally engaged and advising you, then take that advice.
You'll find that the actual lawyers here are not really all that keen to make
part-informed second-guesses about the advice given to you by another lawyer.

ExposeThem

21 January 2022
I am not asking you to make a comment about another lawyers advice.

However, you have been suitably rude enough for me to ask myself why I am here?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I am not asking you to make a comment about another lawyers advice.
Thing is, when you said
i am just wanting to run this by someone like yourself ...
what else can it mean except
"I want a second opinion on the fully considered advice that my existing lawyer has given me" ?