VIC How to Turn Mediation into Family Court Orders?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

speck1

24 June 2015
i understand that, but do you just submit the signed agreement with the do-it-youreslf application or does a lawyer do it?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You can do it yourself if neither party is represented, you just need a signature from both parties.

speck1

24 June 2015
so a signature on the consent orders draft by both? and just attach the parenting agreement from the mediation.
she has a lawyer who says mediation has to be made into consent orders...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Sorry, just to clarify, are there already proceedings under way in court for this matter?

speck1

24 June 2015
There was (initial app)...but her lawyer contacted me and wanted to settle out of court.
wanted mediation, and made into consent orders.
i have mediation in 4 weeks but I'm confused with making them consent orders.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Ooh, right.

Okay, her lawyer should file everything for you. When there's a case pending, they will forward the agreement to the judge's associate and the judge will have a hearing in chambers to decide if they're in the best interests of the child.

After mediation, if you agree with whatever comes out of it, you will have to sign the agreement and they will do the rest. Just make sure you agree with everything, that's all.