NSW How to Serve papers on to the respondent when you self represent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hanna jaye

15 March 2019
Good afternoon,

What easy suggestions may you have for how to serve court documents to the other party when your self representing? This relates to a brand new application being actioned by the “applicant” to serve on the “respondent” directly.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Initiating application:
  1. Google "Process Server" in your area.
  2. Pay them $100.
  3. They will take your documents to the other party.
Doing this is probably the best way to kick things off. As if you use a family member or something they will need to get an acknowledgement of service signed by the other party which can become a headache.
Court is an expensive headache regardless. Pay the $100 and sleep easy knowing the documents will be served correctly.

Everything else after you have filed and served initiating paperwork:

Once you receive the response documents from the other party it will include their best contact (email) and all other documents in future will just be emailed to the other party.

Example:
Dear Ex,

Please find attached by way of service my Affidavit dated 20 February, 2020.

Regards,
Me.

Hanna jaye

15 March 2019
Initiating application:
  1. Google "Process Server" in your area.
  2. Pay them $100.
  3. They will take your documents to the other party.
Doing this is probably the best way to kick things off. As if you use a family member or something they will need to get an acknowledgement of service signed by the other party which can become a headache.
Court is an expensive headache regardless. Pay the $100 and sleep easy knowing the documents will be served correctly.

Everything else after you have filed and served initiating paperwork:

Once you receive the response documents from the other party it will include their best contact (email) and all other documents in future will just be emailed to the other party.

Example:
Dear Ex,

Please find attached by way of service my Affidavit dated 20 February, 2020.

Regards,
Me.

Would it be appropriate if your just wanting a renewal passport signed to use this service too? Or is there another service whom may be able to take passport papers to the Father with the hope he may do right by their child & sign them as they are no flight risk?

Background the Father has signed a passport in the past the issue is its expired. In addition; The father has been charged with serious physical child abuse injuries and is currently serving out time via a ICO. A current final DVO remains in place for the Mother and her children but not the said biological child of the Fathers due to FLC required to do same.

The mother is unable to utilise his own family or friends in this as they no longer have any form of contact with him either.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Yes.

The bloke I used was recommended to my by a Lawyer.

But essentially he is just an impartial party to do the legwork in a professional manner.

I was given a phone number, he rocked up at my house, collected the papers, served them on the other party and texted me to say it was done.

In this case they would be doing the same but asking him to sign the passport documents.
Your ex can refuse and there isn't much the server can do but tell you they tried and he refused.

The server will also send you an Affidavit of Service to say what they did for court purposes.