Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW How to Have Charges Removed from National Police Check?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by ezmarh, 12 August 2016.

1. ezmarh

ezmarh Active Member

I was prosecuted by Centrelink for 'obtaining financial advantage' for the period back in 2004? Went to court in 2006. How long will this show up on a national police check and how do I go about getting it removed as my 10 years is up?

I am wanting to Study as a nurse and I need a national police check.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Hi ezmarth, what was your sentence? Did you receive a term of imprisonment of less than 6 months?

If not, the offence will likely become spent after 10 years and now show on your record. I'm not sure whether this would come under a NSW or Federal offence however Federal spent convictions are those for which sentence was less than 30 months in prison and NSW is 6 months.

However the removal of a need to disclose the offence does not go away entirely: a spent conviction does not apply to some jobs including: a judge, magistrate, justice of the peace, police officer, member of staff of Corrective Services NSW, teacher or a teachers aid. Also, some crimes remain on your record forever - for example if you are sentenced to more than 6 monhts imprisonment or if its a sexual offence in nature.

Check out this link for more info:
    http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/15195/Spent-Convictions.pdf

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ezmarh

ezmarh Active Member

Thank you for your reply. I was given 2 years good behaviour and to pay it back, which I have. I'm wanting to do my nursing and because I need a police clearance, I was wondering if it would still be on there.