NSW How to Have Charges Removed from National Police Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ezmarh

29 September 2015
I was prosecuted by Centrelink for 'obtaining financial advantage' for the period back in 2004? Went to court in 2006. How long will this show up on a national police check and how do I go about getting it removed as my 10 years is up?

I am wanting to Study as a nurse and I need a national police check.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi ezmarth, what was your sentence? Did you receive a term of imprisonment of less than 6 months?

If not, the offence will likely become spent after 10 years and now show on your record. I'm not sure whether this would come under a NSW or Federal offence however Federal spent convictions are those for which sentence was less than 30 months in prison and NSW is 6 months.

However the removal of a need to disclose the offence does not go away entirely: a spent conviction does not apply to some jobs including: a judge, magistrate, justice of the peace, police officer, member of staff of Corrective Services NSW, teacher or a teachers aid. Also, some crimes remain on your record forever - for example if you are sentenced to more than 6 monhts imprisonment or if its a sexual offence in nature.

Check out this link for more info:
http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/15195/Spent-Convictions.pdf

ezmarh

29 September 2015
Thank you for your reply. I was given 2 years good behaviour and to pay it back, which I have. I'm wanting to do my nursing and because I need a police clearance, I was wondering if it would still be on there.