QLD How to Get Guardianship of Stepdaughter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lele728

26 May 2017
Hi there I'm new to this so please bear with me.

So here goes, a little background for you. I have a stepdaughter she's 14. My husband is her biological father. She wants me to adopt her but I know this won't happen without her mother's consent so I wonder if there is a way I can get legal guardianship of her?

For obvious reasons such as emergency medical care if her father is not able to make the decision (e.g. In a car accident together) doctors appointments and other parental decisions. We reside in Australia but her mother lives in the uk and has given my husband consent for my stepdaughter to live in Australia as a permanent resident.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lennon

11 September 2014
I'm not aware of any type of order that could achieve that outcome for you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Wasting your time...

I am a male - primary carer of three young kids. 6,8,11.their mum lives 8 hours away and spend time with them 6 times a year... My partner does most of the medical, school stuff. She has never had a problem...

This is day to day routine stuff, medicals, blood tests, booking appointments... My partner has no legal guardianship - she is just an awesome person who treats my kids like they are here own...... I could try and go to court to get some sort of order that gives her some sort of legal rights over the kids - but up till now there has been no point..

So if I am in a car accident, with my kids... (as per your hypothetical)... I will consider myself bloody unfortunate... a nasty ex and a car accident. man black cat stuff there. So you are worrying about something that is not likely to happen.

Wake up early tomorrow - go outside - breath the cool autumn air and live more

Reactions: Lele728

Lele728

26 May 2017
Thanks so much for your honest reply, I have totally taken her on board as my own we have four other children and she has just been a beautiful addition to our family, so onwards and upwards! Thanks again for taking the time to answer ☺️

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Without the mother's consent you'd have to go to court. Probably not worth the angst and cost for any event that is hopefully quite remote.

homestretch

5 June 2017
I am looking into this sort of thing at the moment as well.
I will be speaking to my solicitor regarding allocating my partner shared parental responsibility & guardianship over my eldest daughter (his step daughter).
This is to ensure stability & support for her should I be hurt/incapacitated/killed etc. though we hope that will never be an issue, we just don't know what can happen.
Our situation is different however as the biological father is not involved in her life at all by his choice.
I'm interested to know how you get along