Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Family Law - How Can I Take Guardianship of My Nephew?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by hopeful, 20 November 2015.

  1. hopeful

    hopeful Member

    20 November 2015
    Likes Received:

    I am posting this question because I need help. My sister had a son, he is now 4 yeats old. He does not have a home, he does not have a bedroom, nor a father. He has not been given any form of real parenting or structure or even learning or educational experiences.

    My sister has always been a little troubled. She has attempted suicide several times. She has stolen lied and cheated through life. She doesn't work. She barely sees her son and lives off government money she receives for him. He usually lives with my elderly mother. Or gets dragged around and sleeps in spare rooms with his mother at her friends' houses. On paper, she has not done anything seriously wrong but she is an unfit mother. What can I do under Family Law? I cannot stand by and watch an innocent boy suffer and grow into being an unfavourable young man. I want to help him. I want guardianship of him!
  2. Therese

    Therese Well-Known Member

    11 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    Dear Hopeful,

    My understanding is that once Child Safety Services are involved with the matter they may make a Child Protection Order in the best interests of the child. This may include a long term guardianship order or custody.

    For more information of these roles see:

    Child Safety Services will investigate a matter once they are notified of it.

    I would suggest contacting a lawyer to see if it is best to get Child Safety Services involved or if there is another way to gain rights to care for your nephew (i.e. adoption).

    See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page