WA How to Deal with Nosy Neighbours Under Australian Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

fred

21 August 2014
I resigned from a previous work employment partly due to constant annoyance from others due to a relationship with a coworker. I started a business and soon overheard the neighbours talking about this which caused me a lot of discomfort.

The neighbours would laugh and joke to all their customers. I don't know who told them about my past. After discussing with another neighbour, he said, if I approached them, they would simply deny knowledge of this.

I moved my business elsewhere and am experiencing the same problem. The neighbours are telling everyone in the centre about my past. I don't know who is behind spreading information about my past and don't know how I should put a stop to it under Australian law.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
If what the neighbours are repeating is true, then you don't have any recourse under law. If they are repeating false information which is defamatory in nature, then you may be able to sue them or at least stop them from talking on the basis of a defamation action.