QLD Horrific ICL Involved - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Migz

20 November 2016
What happens if the parents come to an agreement on the steps of the family courthouse the morning of Trial...but the ICL wants the trial to go ahead?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Is this happening this morning? To answer your question, I'm not really sure but you would think they'd be happy. Maybe they are thinking of the $$$ lost by not going to trial. I would hope not and that they have compelling reasons for it to go ahead.

Atticus

6 February 2019
ICL = Independent children's lawyer...

If an ICL has been appointed, then regardless of what the parents may agree, the ICL must act in the best interests of the child... Is this hypothetical?

Reactions: Alert

Migz

20 November 2016
The trial is next week, I have sought legal counsel, he has contacted both the ICL and the Ex's Legal Team, the Ex's Legal Team was open to coming to an agreement before Trial, but the ICL admitted that she wanted the Trial to run its full course...

So I just thought I'd throw the question up here...this ICL is not acting in the best interests of the Child that's for certain. She has come on board with 3 months to go and has technically pushed to have me removed from my Child's life altogether.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Even without an ICL, the court has to agree to consent orders.

All you can do is put forward the consent orders to the court and see if they'll be accepted. I'd expect both lawyers for the parents to argue why the consent orders should be accepted.

Alert

7 June 2019
What happens if the parents come to an agreement on the steps of the family courthouse the morning of Trial...but the ICL wants the trial to go ahead?
Migz, my children were appointed an ICL. At times I did not agree with the ICL. The ICL must have some logical reasoning for this? Why do believe the ICL is not definitely not acting in the best interest of the children?