WA Honest and reasonable mistake, do I have a case?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shay__

13 November 2021
I was charged with disqualified driving and had a lawyer submit a guilty plea by writing, and therefore I didn’t attend court.

My lawyer emailed me after the court hearing stating “your disqualification period commences on the 5th of November”. I called him and confirmed. Furthermore, I checked my license was still active on the department of transport.

I drove to work on the 4th, as I needed to get to a doctors appointment and was under the assumption I was able to do so based on the facts given to me. Some days later I received my notice of conviction which didn’t outline any dates, so I called the department of transport. They told me my period commenced on the 4th, and my lawyer gave me the wrong dates.

I may have driven past a speed camera on the 4th, which would mean a second disqualified driving charge (if I was speeding). Would I have a case for “honest and reasonable mistake”? I was operating under the assumption I was legally driving based on what I was told.

shay__

13 November 2021
Why don't you wait and see if you need to worry about it first.
Anxiety was taking over I guess.

I called the courts and the lawyer was actually right, their records show the 5th. Department of transport have the 4th for some reason, probably a mistake.