LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Homework Question - Company Directors and Amending Constitution at AGM

Discussion in 'Australian Law School Homework Questions' started by Shivam, 10 May 2015.

1. Shivam

Shivam Member

Company directors called the AGM. All shareholders (G,M,E) did turn up. Director L put forward a resolution to members that the company constitution should be changed and the clause that guaranteed Director P a life time position as a research scientist should be removed. All shareholders voted in favor.

Director P refused to count the votes of shareholders M and E on all other resolutions at the meeting. P as research scientist before she became a director in the company.

Can Director P bring any action against the company for the resolution passed at AGM?

Jason1993 likes this.
  2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Are there different classes of shares? Are all shareholders entitled to vote at the AGM?

What reason did Director P give for not counted votes of shareholders M and E?

Does director P hold the majority of votes?

3. Jason1993

Jason1993 Active Member

Shivam I am looking for the same solution.
    They did not give the director 21 days notice... So I am a little confused. Is that something Director P could use against the resolution. But then again majority of shareholders voted, plus it is an AGM. However do they have the right to vote Director P out for no reason?
    Have you managed to get through this question yet?

4. blokeintherealworld

according to s249h, resolution to remove a director does not apply if shorter notice was given unless notice is given at least 21 days.

it looks like M and E are minority shareholder. i couldn't find the legislation against minority shareholders as i pretty sure ordinary resolution requires 50% majority shareholders?

5. Jason1993

Jason1993 Active Member

I had the same thing - since it was under 21 days - s 249 H.
    Neither - I am looking now. Have you had any luck yet?

6. Jason1993

Jason1993 Active Member

I found this. Formal resolutions at AGMs and general meetings are either: – ordinary resolutions that require being passed by a majority of votes cast by members entitled to vote, or – special resolutions that require specific notice to be given (s 249L(1)(c)) and being passed by at least 75 per cent of votes cast by members entitled to vote.

Shivam S likes this.
  7. Jason1993

Jason1993 Active Member

Since it is greater then majority I am so confused

8. Jason1993

Jason1993 Active Member

Okay... JUST realised she isn't getting removed it says constitution should be changed and the clause that guaranteed Director P a life time position as a research scientist should be removed

Shivam S likes this.
  9. Shivam S

Shivam S Member

True thats why all sections about removal of directors also does not apply over here. @Jason1993