NT Gumtree Seller Sold Me a Faulty Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Bailey,

I would speak to a lawyer.

You could try a letter of demand How to Recover a Debt - Useful Tips - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

The blog above deals with debt recovery but its the same sort of thing. If you write a letter of demand requiring the money be returned on return of the vehicle by a given date with the prospect of taking them to small claims court they may just return the money to avoid court.

Given that you have conflicting information on the price I would want to avoid court but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to recover the money.

Bailey

31 March 2017
That was my idea. I have sent him a text to say I have been given legal advice and I can take him to court. I said I'm happy to settle out of court. I will leave it now and send a letter next! He knows he's in the wrong big time.

Lance

31 October 2015
Ok, but I didn't give you legal advice, just some information. I'm not a lawyer. But that might prompt them to fix the situation.

Bailey

31 March 2017
Thank you, I appreciate it. I have texted him, but no reply so I'm not sure I'll get much joy out of him