- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Gumtree - How to Get Caravan Deposit Back?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Cleggles, 28 April 2015.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Cleggles

Cleggles Member

27 April 2015
    I recently looked at a caravan on gumtree and agreed to buy it and have it delivered by the owner and left a deposit of $500 as he said it was towable. The next day he called and said he could not deliver it as it had bald tyres and a broken tow bar and would need a tilt truck and it would cost an extra $500 on top of the agreed price of $2000. I said I was not prepared to pay the extra and he said he would put the deposit back in my bank account. Today I contacted him as the money hadn't gone in and he replied to say he would not be paying it back due to the inconvenience and cost of advertising. I explained to him gumtree is free and he will no longer take my calls or texts. Is there anything I can do to get my money back I have a receipt and correspondence through text messaging. Thank you.
  2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

27 May 2014
    If you have his address or email send a demand letter.

If not, send a short form of it via SMS. If you know his name and area he lives in check, the electoral roll for an address. You then to post a 'final demand letter'.

Step after that is court or your local tribunal.
    Sarah J likes this.