QLD Gumtree - How to Get Caravan Deposit Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cleggles

27 April 2015
I recently looked at a caravan on gumtree and agreed to buy it and have it delivered by the owner and left a deposit of $500 as he said it was towable. The next day he called and said he could not deliver it as it had bald tyeares and a broken tow bar and would need a tilt truck and it would cost an extra $500 on top of the agreed price of $2000. I said I was not prepared to pay the extra and he said he would put the deposit back in my bank account. Today I contacted him as the money hadn't gone in and he replied to say he would not be paying it back due to the inconvenience and cost of advertising. I explained to him gumtree is free and he will no longer take my calls or texts. Is there anything I can do to get my money back I have a receipt and correspondence through text messaging. Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you have his address or email send a demand letter.

If not, send a short form of it via SMS. If you know his name and area he lives in check, the electoral roll for an address. You then to post a 'final demand letter'.

Step after that is court or your local tribunal.

Reactions: Sarah J