VIC Getting Back Deposit for Privately Bought Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stew Roberto

25 May 2018
I have a quick question to see what I can do to get my money back. I was buying a car privately that had quite a lot of interest in it, so I went and checked out the car and it all looked well. We both agreed that I would place a $400 deposit on the vehicle to hold it, subject that it passes a vehicle inspection report (my girlfriend witnessed this agreement).

Upon the car going in for an inspection, it failed. When I asked him about my deposit being returned, he said sure thing and said I need to get back home tonight in order to do online banking and transfer it (my mechanic and girlfriend witnessed this conversation).

Now I don't know what to do as obviously. He has blocked me on Facebook and is not answering any of my calls. I know where he lives so I was thinking about sending a letter of demand reminding him about our verbal agreement and saying that I will possibly take this further and he will need to return the deposit alongside any legal costs. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks.