Full-time vs part-time study?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TroutsVisa

27 February 2022
Hi everyone,

Can some please tell me what's the official definition and differences between full-time vs part-time study?

I have got the mixed answers while searching online.

Can someone please explain it to me, how many hours or study week exactly is consider full-time and part-time likewise?

Thank you :)

Docupedia

7 October 2020
When it comes to studying, my understanding has always been that it is about the credit point load. That can roughly work out to be number of hours of study, but I don't know how that works out.

That load would be dependent on your course (and may also according to your education institution guidelines - I see a bit of difference around on a quick search). A good way to work it out might be to look at the total credit point load of your qualification, and divide that by the number of semesters you're expected to complete that in. Then check the institution's determination of what is a 'full time load'.

For example (and I don't know if this is correct, so take it as hypothetical): QUT has a law degree requiring 384 credit points in core and elective units. Nominally that is done over four years, comprising eight semesters. That equates to 48 credit points per semester (8 x 48 = 384). So a full time study load is 48 credit points per semester. QUT considers at least 75% load as being full time (because, for example, different subject weights etc. may not allow a full 48 credit point complement). So, therefore 36 credit points and above is considered full time - and anything less is considered part time.

TroutsVisa

27 February 2022
Thank you for detail break down.

So, considering the example you have taken from QUT university, an international student only needs to study total of 288 credit points worth of subjects to be graduate in law? Is that true?

Also, lets say I want to study only 2 subjects which is only 24 credit during my summer vacation(12credit/subject as an example) and study remaining on another semester can I do that?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
I'm not sure why you're equating 288 credit points with graduation (I know it's 75%, but the reasoning why escapes me). You still need to complete the full requirement of credit points in any given degree to attain it. If you're doing a 75% course load it will simply take longer to do so.

I'm unaware of any difference being applied for international students.

Perhaps the following example will help. It is historical, but the principle remains the same I think: Way back when, QUT offered its law degree in three streams: full time, part time, and external. External was essentially part time, but done remotely instead of on-campus. The full time course load meant you nominally completed the degree in four years, at 48 credit points per semester. Part time and external did a smaller loan (say 32 credit points per semester) and completed the degree in six years. Same number of credit points (and same subjects) - it just took longer.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
This
Thank you for detail break down.

So, considering the example you have taken from QUT university, an international student only needs to study total of 288 credit points worth of subjects to be graduate in law? Is that true?

Also, lets say I want to study only 2 subjects which is only 24 credit during my summer vacation(12credit/subject as an example) and study remaining on another semester can I do that?
Do yourself a favour and contact the International Student's Office at UQ, and ask them directly.