VIC Australian Study Requirement confusion

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Euwyn Goh

8 March 2019
Hi!

Need help URGENTLY!!! I'm an international student graduating this year July 2019. I'm looking to get the 485 TR visa, followed by the 186 employer-nominated visa. I need advice on the Australian Study Requirement. I understand the ASR requires 2 years/92 weeks of study, and I'm unclear even after several calls to the DHA. Here's my case:

- The 3-year course I am doing is 156 weeks of study (based on CRICOS).

- I transferred to Australia midway through, so instead of 3 years I spend 2 years here. So 2/3 years x 156 weeks = 104 weeks.

- A full 2-years/104 weeks consists of 4 semesters, each semester with 4 units = 16 units (full 3 years/156 weeks would = 24 units). So 16/24 units x 156 weeks = 104 weeks. Now the thing is, I did 13 units instead of 16 units. And 13/24 units x 156 weeks = 84 weeks which is under the 92 week requirement. I would need to do 2 more units to satisfy the ASR (15/24 units x 156 weeks = 97.5 weeks).

I eventually concluded with some options I'm exploring:

Option 1- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance I can apply for exceptions (due to reasons below)? On one call to the DHA, I was advised to submit my visa 485 application with an agent and cite my case, and that the case officer may exempt from the ASR.

Things to note: 1) I will be completing my degree July 2019. Adding 2 units would be absolutely pointless in my degree. It just doesn't seem to make much sense, costing so much time and money.

Option 2- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance there is a different visa route I could take does not require the ASR? I am interning with an employer as an accountant who's looking to take me on full time and most likely sponsor my visa. On one call to the DHA, I was told about TR visa 482 (that did not require ASR) and recommended to go through visa 482 and then 186 for a ASR-free employer-nominated route. But upon reading online, it seems like visa 482 requires 2 years prior working experience (which I may need some clarification on how the visa works and if I may be eligible!)

Option 3- I do the 2 units because I have no better alternatives. Perhaps I can do a professional year? At least I would gain 5 points while working to meet the ASR. Exploring study options that may be more useful or cheaper as well, such as taking 2 easy-pass units up in a low-cost registered institution.

Really need some advice as DHA calls have been pretty contradicting and I'm really confused! Please let me know if there are other options I could explore.

Kon-ming Tsai

16 March 2019
Hi!

Need help URGENTLY!!! I'm an international student graduating this year July 2019. I'm looking to get the 485 TR visa, followed by the 186 employer-nominated visa. I need advice on the Australian Study Requirement. I understand the ASR requires 2 years/92 weeks of study, and I'm unclear even after several calls to the DHA. Here's my case:

- The 3-year course I am doing is 156 weeks of study (based on CRICOS).

- I transferred to Australia midway through, so instead of 3 years I spend 2 years here. So 2/3 years x 156 weeks = 104 weeks.

- A full 2-years/104 weeks consists of 4 semesters, each semester with 4 units = 16 units (full 3 years/156 weeks would = 24 units). So 16/24 units x 156 weeks = 104 weeks. Now the thing is, I did 13 units instead of 16 units. And 13/24 units x 156 weeks = 84 weeks which is under the 92 week requirement. I would need to do 2 more units to satisfy the ASR (15/24 units x 156 weeks = 97.5 weeks).

I eventually concluded with some options I'm exploring:

Option 1- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance I can apply for exceptions (due to reasons below)? On one call to the DHA, I was advised to submit my visa 485 application with an agent and cite my case, and that the case officer may exempt from the ASR.

Things to note: 1) I will be completing my degree July 2019. Adding 2 units would be absolutely pointless in my degree. It just doesn't seem to make much sense, costing so much time and money.

Option 2- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance there is a different visa route I could take does not require the ASR? I am interning with an employer as an accountant who's looking to take me on full time and most likely sponsor my visa. On one call to the DHA, I was told about TR visa 482 (that did not require ASR) and recommended to go through visa 482 and then 186 for a ASR-free employer-nominated route. But upon reading online, it seems like visa 482 requires 2 years prior working experience (which I may need some clarification on how the visa works and if I may be eligible!)

Option 3- I do the 2 units because I have no better alternatives. Perhaps I can do a professional year? At least I would gain 5 points while working to meet the ASR. Exploring study options that may be more useful or cheaper as well, such as taking 2 easy-pass units up in a low-cost registered institution.

Really need some advice as DHA calls have been pretty contradicting and I'm really confused! Please let me know if there are other options I could explore.

Hi, you may find your answers on my FAQ and blog post on 485 visa - www.denovolegal.com.au.